Confessions of an Atheist

Mr. Blogger,

I've read your blog post that features a converstion I had with a friend of mine. In that article you say that I'm an atheist and my friend is a believer. My dear friend, you are mistaken. He is not an ordinary believer, who is a die hard believer of a particular religion. But, I am an atheist, in the real sense. I want you to know why I'm an atheist. Consider this as the confessions of an atheist.

I was not born an atheist. I was born in a religious neighbourhood. As a child, I loved stories of God, how believers are blessed, how the sinners are punished or how they had their redemption. But, that doesn't mean that I was brought up in a very strict religious environment, where religion dominates thought. As a child, I believed in God. I thought he made this universe, life in this Earth and all.

So, when did I became an atheist? There is no clear answer to that question, because that transformation was very slow. I didn't became an atheist in a day. Over the years, I became what I'm now. So, what caused this radical transformation? The answer is that, I thought. I thought day in and day out, trying to figure out why human beings are not so humane. Why all this killings, havoc? I found an answer. Men do all mass cruelities to innocent common man, either in the name of religion or in the name of political parties. Ordinary people are blindfolded by the top members of a political or religious faith. They can no longer see the plain facts. They no longer trust their eyes. So they trust their ears. They do what they are told to do. They do all sorts of cruelities thinking that they are protected and they are in a group.

Fed up with this, I thought of a way to live and let others live. I knew the only way to do so is by eliminating both politics and religion from my life. I found eliminating the first easy, as I had not yet formed a political view. But, the second was difficult, because losing relogion meant losing God.

Meanwhile, I developed an interest in science. The reason was simple, it gave me the right answers for all my questions. As I got answers, my questions increased. Soon, I learned that answering my own questions was the most important part of learning. Thus I started thinking of everything that crossed my mind. It was this rational thinking, that enabled me to part with religion. Then, I had to explain God. I found the loopholes in the existing definition of God, to define God in a rational, logical manner. I considered scientific laws as God's law. I replaced God with knowledge, love for humanity. You may say that this is the definition of God. But, there is a very big difference. The God that I speak of doesn't belong to any religion. He doesn't need any prayers. He doesn't help you out of a difficulty if you pray. He will help you if you think, and only if you think!! He won't simply bestow you with blessings. You will have to discover his true blessings. So, what sort of atheist am I? I redefined God and believe in him. So am I really an arheist? Yes, because, I don't believe in the commonly known “commercial God”.

This letter is not meant to transform you into an atheist like me. Every atheist has a reason for why he became so. This is to explain why I became an atheist. I may be wrong in my belief. One day, there may arise proofs for the existence of God. But, I will not have any regrets then, because, I stood for humanity, for love, for knowledge. I believe, God (if there is one) too will be in that side. He won't punish me for not believing in him, because, I stood for the right principles.

0 comments:

Post a Comment